Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Restaurant AND Movie Review

Today, we tried a new restaurant AND saw a new movie too! Our co-faux-boyfriend, Rob, joined Bill and me today and suggested having breakfast pre-movie, and we were happy to oblige...

I then suggested Square One Dining for our meal. It was written up by Los Angeles magazine as a great breakfast joint, and I had been wanting to try it. Although it's located kind of out of our Grove-centric area (on 4854 Fountain Ave. just West of Vermont), it's a lovely little place with good food. I really enjoyed my breakfast sandwich on toasted brioche, and we all shared a yummy side of grits with cheese and bacon. The menu is fairly simple, but the quality is great. Our favorites of the morning were the delicious coffee and the cookies for dessert. The giant cookies are only $3 and are served in a bag on a plate ('cause you'll most likely not be able to finish one and will take it to-go)! Bill called the cookies "Ooey, gooey, crisp and chewy!"

After dining, again breaking out of our Grove-mold, we headed over to the ArcLight to see a late morning screening of "Eastern Promises", a thriller about Russian gangsters in London, starring Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts. If you're squeamish, this movie is probably not one to see right after a big meal. The violence is quite graphic, which is typical for a David Cronenberg feature.

But aside from the violence, the story is really interesting, and there's nudity and great acting too, mainly all compliments of the star himself, Viggo!
Yowza! He was completely convincing as a complex Russian gangster (tattoos, accent and all). I was drooling over him throughout the whole movie, whether he was in a sleek suit or completely nude.

And the BONUS (for me especially) is that there are Chelsea FC references in the film too, which isn't too surprising (since the London football club is owned by a certain Russian billionaire, who's not on my good side these days). Irregardless (sic), we definitely recommend this movie!

All in all, I've had a great day. Breakfast and a movie with my boys (Bill and Rob treated me to each respectively; unnecessary but so sweet). Then, I came home and took a nap. Fall is pretty much here, and the cooler weather is so lovely. Now, I'm off to watch some Davis Cup that I tivo'd. Life ain't too shabby; I'm a lucky lady (hooligan)!

P.S. I want to give a little shout-out to our cute friend, Brien, who joined us for the breakfast portion of the activities; halla!

No comments: