Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Currently Reading

In case anyone's interested, I've decided to add a little "Currently Reading" update to my blog. I'll post the most current book that I'm reading in the right-hand column of random items, and hopefully it'll give me the incentive to read more (even with the tantalizing upcoming Fall TV season).

This past year, I've read some decent books:
Truman Capote's "Summer Crossing"
Amy Sedaris' "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence"
Ray Bennett's "The Underachiever's Manifesto: The Guide to Accomplishing Little and Feeling Great"
Kazua Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go"
Isabel Allende's "Ines of My Soul"
Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey"
James Blake's "Breaking Back: How I Lost Everything and Won Back My Life"
J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)"

Harry Potter 7 was by far the best of the bunch, and for your information, I'm always open to any recommendations too...

Now, I'm currently reading Bill Clinton's "Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World".It's an easy read, mainly about the hundreds of amazing organizations that President Clinton and his Foundation have crossed paths with.

Thankfully, almost everyone I know performs charitable acts (whether it's donating clothes or working at a homeless shelter). But, at the same time, it seems that we can all do more, and this book reminded me of an organization that I had heard about and wanted to check out:
Kiva - loans that change lives

If you haven't already heard about them, KIVA provides a set-up where you can loan $25 (via PayPal and then forwarded through a local credit union) to a business-person in a developing country. Ideally and over time, the entrepreneur pays your $25 back (which you can keep or re-loan). How unique and interesting is that? Check them out, and keep them in mind. The holidays are right around the corner, and gift certificates are available...

P.S. In memory of my Uncle Cyrus, I "loaned" $25 to Rahiba Soltanova (a small jewelry seller in Azerbaijan) today.

No comments: